SSC Scientific Assistant Recruitment 2022: Department of Personnel and Trainin, Staff Selection Commission (SSC), New Delhi has released an employment notification for the recruitment of 990 Scientific Assistant Vacancy in India Meteorological Department Examination 2022. The last date for submission of the application is 18th October 2022.
- No. of vacancy: 990 (Nine hundred-ninety)
- Educational Qualification (As on 18-10-2022):
Bachelor’s Degree in Science (with Physics as one of the subjects)/Computer Science/Information Technology/Computer Applications
OR Diploma in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from a recognized Institution/University or equivalent.
NOTE-I: The qualifying Degree or Diploma referred above should be in First Class (60% marks) or 6.75 CGPA on a 10-point scale.
NOTE-II: The qualifying Degree or Diploma referred above must be of three (3) years duration after (10+2) examination.
NOTE-III: The applicant must have passed 10+2 Examination from a Recognized Board or equivalent in Science with Physics and Mathematics as core subjects.
- Age limit (As on closing date 18-10-2022): Not exceeding 30 years as on 18-10-2022. Candidate must have been born not earlier than 19-10-1992 and not later than 17-10-2004.
How to Apply for SSC Scientific Assistant?
Applications must be submitted only in online mode at the website of SSC Headquarter i.e. https://ssc.nic.in. For detailed instructions, please refer to Annexure-III and Annexure-IV. Sample proforma of One-time Registration and online Application Form are attached as Annexure-III A and Annexure-IV A respectively.
In the online Application Form, candidates are required to upload the scanned colour passport size photograph in JPEG format (20 KB to 50 KB). The photograph should not be more than three months old from the date of publication of the Notice of Examination. Image dimension of the photograph should be about 3.5 cm (width) x 4.5 cm (height). The photograph should be without cap, spectacles and the frontal view of the face should be clearly visible.
If the proper photograph is not uploaded by a candidate, his candidature will be cancelled. Specimen of photographs which are acceptable/ not acceptable is given at Annexure-V.
Last date and time for submission of online applications is 18-10-2022 (23:00).
Candidates are advised in their own interest to submit the online application much before the closing date and not to wait till the last date to avoid the possibility of disconnection/ inability or failure to login to the SSC website on account of heavy load on the website during the closing days.
The Commission will not be responsible for the candidates not being able to submit their applications within the last date on account of the aforesaid reasons or for any other reason beyond the control of the Commission.
Before submission of the online application, candidates must check through Preview/Print option that they have filled correct details in each field of the form.
Application Fee of SSC Scientific Assistant
Fee payable: ₹100/- (Rupee One Hundred Only).
Women candidates and candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwBD)and Ex-servicemen (ESM) are exempted from payment of fee.
Fee can be paid online through BHIM UPI, Net Banking or by using Visa, Mastercard, Maestro, RuPay Credit or Debit cards or in cash at SBI Branches by generating SBI Challan.
Online fee can be paid by candidates up to 20-10-2022 (23:00 hours) and candidates who wish to make cash payment through the challan of SBI, may make payment in cash at the Branches of SBI within the working hours of bank up to 20-10-2022 provided the challan has been generated by them before 19-10-2022 (23:00 hours).
Candidates who are not exempted from fee payment must ensure that their fee has been deposited with SSC. If the fee is not received by SSC, status of the Application Form is shown as ‘Incomplete’ and this information is printed on the top of the printout of online Application Form. Further, status of fee payment can be verified at the ‘Payment Status” link provided in the candidate’s login screen. Such applications which remain incomplete due to non-receipt of fee will be SUMMARILY REJECTED and no request for consideration of such applications and fee payment after the period specified in the Notice of Examination shall be entertained.
Fee once paid shall not be refunded under any circumstances nor will it be adjusted against any other examination or selection.
Syllabus of SSC Scientific Assistant
Indicative Syllabus (Part-I):
- General Intelligence & Reasoning: The Syllabus for General Intelligence would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. The test may include questions on analogies, similarities, differences, space visualization, problem solving, analysis, judgement, decision making, visual memory, discrimination, observation, relationship concepts, arithmetical reasoning, verbal and figure classification, arithmetical number series etc. The test will also include questions designed to test the candidate’s abilities to deal with abstract ideas and symbols and their relationships, arithmetical computations and other analytical functions.
- General Awareness: General, physical, geographical, topographical, economic and climatic features of India. Current events. Matters of everyday observation and experience on scientific aspects and reasoning. Basic topics of Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics. History of India, its cultural heritage, freedom movement, salient feature of the Constitution of India. Economic and social aspect of the country and its people.
- Quantitative Aptitude: The questions will be designed to test the ability of appropriate use of numbers and number sense of the candidate. The scope of the test will be computation of whole numbers, decimals, fractions and relationships between numbers, Percentage, Ratio & Proportion, Square roots, Averages, interest, Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Alligation, Time and Distance, Time & Work, Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra & Elementary Surds, Graphs of Linear Equations, Triangle and its various kinds of center, Congruence and similarity of triangles, Circle and its chords, tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle, common tangents to two or more circles, Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons, Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelepiped, Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square base, Trigonometric ratio, Degree and Radian Measures, Standard Identities, Complementary angle, Heights and Distances, Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar diagram & Pie chart.
- English Language and Comprehension English grammar, Vocabulary, Spellings, Synonyms and Antonyms, Comprehension, Correct and incorrect usages, etc.
Indicative Syllabus (Part-II):
- Mechanics: Units and dimensions, SI Units, Newton’s Laws of Motion, conservation of linear and angular momentum, projectiles, rotational motion, moment of inertia, rolling motion, Newton’s Law of gravitation, Planetary motion, Kepler’s Laws of Planetary motion, artificial satellites, Fluid motion, Bernoulli’s theorem, Surface tension, Viscosity, Elastic Constants, bending of beams, torsion of cylindrical bodies, elementary ideas of special theory of relativity.
- # Thermal Physics, Radiation & Sound: Equations of state, Ideal and real gases, Dalton’s law of partial pressure. Thermometry, Zeroth, first and second laws of thermodynamics, reversible and irreversible processes, Heat engines, Maxwell’s relation, Heat Capacities, Adiabatic and Isothermal processes, Clausius-Clapeyron relation, Thermal Conductivity, Thermodynamic state variables, viz., Internal energy, Entropy, Enthalpy, Helmholtz’s free energy function, Gibb’s free energy function. Vapour pressure, evaporation. Kinetic theory of gases, Browning motion, Maxwell’s velocity distribution, Equipartition of energy, mean free path Vander walls’ equation of State, Liquefaction of gases. Blackbody radiation, Kirchhoff’s law, Stephen’s law, Planck’s law. Conduction in solids.
- Wave and Oscillations: Simple harmonic motion, wave motion, superposition principle, Damped oscillations; forced oscillations and resonance; simple oscillatory systems; vibrations of rods, strings and air columns. Doppler effect; Ultrasonic; Sabine’s law of reverberation; Recording and reproduction of sound.
- Optics: Nature and propagation of light; Reflection & Refraction. Interference; diffraction; polarization of light; simple interferometers. Determination of wavelength of spectral lines, Electromagnetic spectrum. Rayleigh scattering, Raman effect, Lenses and mirrors, combination of coaxial thin lenses, spherical and chromatic aberrations, and their corrections, Microscope, Telescope, Eyepieces and Photometry.
- Electricity and magnetism: Electric charges, fields and potentials, Gauss’s theorem, Electrometers, Dielectrics, Magnetic properties of matter and their measurement, Elementary theory of dia, para and ferro-magnetism, Hysteresis, Electric current and their properties, Ohm’s law, Galvanometers, Whetstone’s bridge and applications, Potentiometers, Faraday’s law of E.M. induction, self and mutual inductance and their applications, alternating currents, impedance and resonance, LCR circuit, Dynamos, motors, transformers, PeltierSeebeck and Thomson effects and applications, electrolysis, Hall effect, Hertz experiment and electro-magnetic waves, Particle accelerators and cyclotron.
- Atomic structure: Electron, measurement of ‘e’ and ‘e/m’, measurement of Planck Constant, Rutherford-Bohr Atom, X-rays, Bragg’s law, Moseley’s law, Radioactivity, Alpha-Beta-Gamma emission, Elementary ideas of nuclear structures, Fission, Fusion and Reactors, Louis de Broglie waves and Electron Microscope.
- Electronics: Thermo-ionic emission, diodes and triodes, p-n diodes and transistors, simple rectifier, amplifier and oscillator circuits.
- Calculus: Limits, Differential calculus (Differentiation), Integral calculus (Integration), Multivariable calculus (Function theory), basic concepts of differential equation, viz., types, order, degree of differential equations. Concept of Laplacian of a function.
- Linear algebra: Concept of a Vector Space, Basic concepts of linearly dependent/ independent vectors. Matrix and determinant. Concepts of Eigen Value and Eigen Vectors.
- Vector Algebra & calculus: Zero Vector, Unit Vector, Position Vector, Co-initial Vector, Like and Unlike Vectors, Co-planar Vector, Collinear Vector, Equal Vector, Displacement Vector, Negative of a Vector, Vector and Scalar Quantities, Vector Formulas, Components of a Vector, Vector Addition and its Laws, Multiplication of Vectors and Scalar Quantity, Vector Algebra, Dot Product of Two Vectors, Scalar Triple Product. Basic concepts of Vector calculus, viz., Grads, Divergence, Curl, Stokes theorem, Gauss divergence theorem.
Computer Science and Information Technology:
- Computer: History of Computers and their classification, Basic Organization, Memory–RAM, ROM, EPROM, etc., Magnetic-Floppy, Hard disks, CDROM, WORM etc., Concept of Virtual Memory and Cache Memory, Number systems, binary, octal, Hexadecimal, Binary Addition, Subtraction and Multiplication, Flotation, point representation and arithmetic, Arithmetic through stacks.
- Operating systems: assemblers, elements of Assembly language programming-Overview of the Assembly process, assembler for the PC, Process synchronization, Memory Management-address Binding-dynamic Loading and linking-overlays-logical and Physical address space-Contiguous Allocation-internal & External Fragmentation. Non-Contiguous Allocation: Paging and Segmentation Schemes-Implementation-Hardware Protection-Protection-sharing- Fragmentation.
- Virtual Memory: Demand Paging – Page Replacement – Page Replacement algorithms – Thrashing.
- File System: File Concepts – Assess Methods – Directory Structures – Protection Consistency Semantics – File system Structures – Allocation Methods – Free Space Management.
- I/O System: Overview – I/O hardware – Application I/O Interface – Kernel I/O subsystem, Performance, Secondary Storage Structures, Protection, Goals, Domain – Access matrix.
- Assemblers: Elements of assembly language programming – Overview of the Assembly process – Design of a low-pass Assembler – a single pass Assembler for the PC. The security Problem – Authentication – Threats – Threat Monitoring – Encryption.
- Fundamentals of programming: Unix Programming, Programming in FORTRAN, C, Object Oriented Programming in C++, programming in Java, Basics of compilers.
- Database Management Systems: Advantages and components of a Database Management Systems, Data Types, Data Dictionary, Query Basics, Forms and Reports, Graphical objects, Error Handing, Distributing Application, Data Storage Methods, Data Clustering and Partitioning, Database Administration, Backup and Recovery, Security and Privacy, Distributed Databases, Client/Server Databases, Object Oriented Databases, Integrated Applications, SQL, RDBMS.
- Internet Technology: Basics, topologies, layers, switching in the networks, bridges, routers and gateways, types of networks, WWW. Client/Server Applications, Internet Standards and specifications, ISP, Broad Band Technologies, Protocols, web-servers, browsers, and security, fire walls, data security, HTML, dHTML, XML, Web designing.
- Fundamentals of Geographical Information System (GIS): GIS Data and Spatial Models, Topology and Spatial Operations, Projections, Scale and Coordinate Systems, Mapping, GIS Analysis, Cartography. Basics of GIS application development.
Electronics & Telecommunication:
(i) Electronics: Conductors, Semi-conductors, Insulators, Magnetic, Passive components, characteristics of Resistors, Capacitors and inductors.PN Junction diode, forward and reverse bias characteristics and equivalent circuits of diode, Zener diode and applications, clipping, clamping and rectifier circuits using diodes.
# Bipolar Junction Transistors (BJT), Field Effect Transistor (FET) and MOSFET; Biasing and stability, Emitter follower and its applications – Negatives Feedback-Transistor as a switch, Multistage Amplifiers, Feedback, Oscillators, Multi vibrators, Voltage regulation, Power amplifiers.
# Introduction to Network Theorems: Kirchoff’s laws, superposition, Thevenin’s , Norton’s and Maximum power theorems.
# Voltage and Current relationship in the resistance, inductance and capacitance. Concept of reactance, susceptance, conductance, impedance and admittance in series and parallel RL, RC and RLC circuits – Three phase supply-star and delta connection diagrams – Relation between line and phase & voltages and currents, series and parallel resonance circuits – condition of resonance, resonant frequency, Q factor and bandwidth.
# Digital electronics:–Logic gates, Demorgan’s theorem, Boolean algebra, frequency counters, flip-flops, shift resistors, Basic concepts of Digital to Analog and Analog to Digital Converters, Timing circuits, Digital logic circuits, systems & codes Combinational logic design.
(ii) Telecommunication: Basic antenna principle directive gain, directivity, radiation pattern, broad-side and end-fire array, Yagi antenna, Parabolic antenna, Ground wave propagation, space waves, ionosphere propagation and electromagnetic frequency spectrum, Modulation, types of modulation, Amplitude Modulation (AM), Modulation index, Power relation in AM, Generation and Demodulation of AM.
# Single Side Band (SSB): Power requirement in comparison with AM, Advantages of SSB over AM. Concept of Balanced Modulator, Generation of SSB, Pilot Carrier System. Independent Side System, Vestigial Sideband Transmission.
# Frequency Modulation (FM): Definition of FM, Bandwidth, Noise triangle, Pre-emphasis and De-emphasis.
# Pulse Modulation (PM): Definition of PM. Difference between AM and FM. Radio receivers. Sampling Theorem, PAM, PTM, PWM, PPM, pulse code modulation, Quantization noise, commanding, PCM system, differential PCM, Delta modulation.
# Multiplexing: FDM/TDM.
# Introduction of digital Communication: PSK, ASK, FSK, introduction to fiber optics system, Propagation of light in optical fiber and ray model.
# Propagation of signals at HF, VHF, UHF and microwave frequency and satellite communications.
Those who wish to apply are advised to go through the below official notification in detail before submitting applications.